a-pu | ἀφύ(ω) (aphuo) | to become bleached or white; †to be erased
a-pu | ἐφύ(ω) (ephuo) | to be exposed to rain
PY Ta 641 (Scribe 2)
- ἀπύ(ω) (apuo) (Doric) | to call to, to summon
- ἠπύ(ω) (epuo) | to call to, to summon
- δόσι(ς) (dosis) | a gift
a-pu-do-si > ἀπόδοσι(ς) (apodosis) | compensation, repayment, restitution
Knossos (Scribes 103, 135, 136, 137, 141, 221, unknown)
Mycenae (Scribe unknown)
Pylos (Scribe 2), esp. PY Wr 1457.
ἀπόδοσις “repayment” appears to be a later form with an extended meaning. Note, also, apodosis “the main clause of a conditional sentence”. This conditional aspect of ἀπόδοσις “compensation” implies “tribute”. Cf. also the antonym ἀποδοχή (apodokhe) “compensation received”.
01.24.14 * 03.04.15
a-ra-ko | ἄραχο(ς) (arakhos) | wild vetch, Vicia sibthorpii
a-ra-ko | ἄρακο(ς) (arakos) | a leguminous weed, Lathyrus annuus
Knossos (Scribes 103, 111, 117)
Wild vetch, a leguminous weed, is a staple in the diets of sheep and other ruminant animals.
- a-ra | ἄρης (ares) | to draw, to lift
- a-ra | Ἄρης (Ares) | the god of destruction and war
- ru-wo | ἐρύω (eruo) | to drag, to draw with force or violence, to plunder
On the “pirates’ tablet” [KN Ra 1548], a-ra-ru-wo-a is used in the context of piracy.